Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council’s Summer of Heritage is back with a packed programme of free and interesting events across the county.
The programme runs from the 1st of July to the 7th of September and contains new events as well as some of last year’s most popular ones.
Buildings in DLR
Events include free tours of landmark buildings like
- Holy Trinity Church in Killiney (Monday to Saturday 2pm to 4pm & Sundays 8am to 12pm),
- Cabinteely House (Wednesdays & Sundays at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm & 5pm),
- the Oratory in Dún Laoghaire (Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm & 5pm),
- Monkstown Castle (Tuesdays at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm & 5pm),
- Kill Abbey (Saturdays at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm & 5pm),
- Dalkey Castle (Mondays & Thursdays at 10.45am), and
- the Obelisks at the top of Killiney Hill (Thursdays at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm & 5pm) and Carysfort Avenue (Saturdays at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm & 5pm) respectively.
- Killiney Martello Tower (Tuesdays and Thursdays – tours at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm and 5pm);
- Seapoint Martello Tower (Wednesdays and Sundays – tours at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm and 5pm);
- Joyce Tower in Sandycove (every day – open from 10am to 6pm).
World War I
If you’re interested in history, there a number of events to commemorate the centenary of the outbreak of World War I, with a musical evening in the Pavillion Theatre (part of the Great War Roadshow) on the 17th of July (this is not a free event), an exhibition in County Hall on the involvement local people in the War, and a war graves tour of Deansgrange Cemetery (every Tuesday at 2.30pm).
There are also general cemetery tours covering:
- Deansgrange Cemetery (every Thursday at 2.30pm), which has a large number of graves of historical significance, including: former Taoisigh and other politicians; artists writers, poets, singers, comedians and actors; and inventors and scientists;
- The Quaker Cemetery at Temple Hill in Blackrock (every Tuesday at 2.45pm and 4pm);
- Carrickbrennan Graveyard in Monkstown (every Thursday at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm and 5pm).
Walks & Tours
The programme includes a number of walks and outdoor tours:
- Historic Dún Laoghaire (Thursdays at 7pm);
- Historic Blackrock (Tuesdays at 12pm);
- Historic Dundrum (Saturdays at 2.30pm);
- The Metals (Wednesdays at 7pm & Saturdays at 1pm);
- Seafront Memorials Tour in Dún Laoghaire (Sundays at 11.30am);
- Beckett Country Walk in Foxrock (Sundays at 3.15pm).
You can see the full brochure and events details here.
For more information, please telephone (01) 204-7011 or e-mail email@example.com