As part of the dlr Summer of Heritage Programme 2014, there will be four free tours of the Stillorgan Obelsik every Saturday until the 6th of September.
Meeting at the entrance to Carysfort Woods, at the top of Carysfort Avenue, Stillorgan, at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm and 5pm, each of the four tours will have a capacity of 20 people and will last about 40 minutes.
Following a famine in 1727, and the death of Lady Allen, Lord Allen commissioned the Stillorgan Obleisk. This avande-garde, neo-classical, granite monument stands at over 100 feet high and was probably the first obelisk in Ireland.
The Obelisk was probably designed by the eminent Palladian architect, Sir Edward Lovett Pearce (1699-1733), who also designed the Irish Houses of Parliament (now the Bank of Ireland on College Green), Bellamont House in Co. Cavan, the wings of Castletown House, and the State Corridor in Dublin Castle’s State Apartments.
Pearce was living in the parish at this time in a house known as The Grove. This large house (subsequently known as Tigh Lorcáin Hall) was unfortunately replaced by the Stillorgan Bowling Alley in 1963.
Please not that these tours are not wheelchair accessible and caution is needed due to the number of steps that need to be climbed as part of the tour. The tours are not, therefore, suitable to anyone who is unsteady on his or her feet, proper footwear is essential (bare feet are not allowed) and children must be supervised at all times.